Friday, May 28, 2004

28 May, Friday: Just a few more days left. I'm finding it hard to concentrate. Am glad for a three-day weekend so I'll have three concerted days to finish everything I need to do in my flat. (BTW, it's not Memorial Day here but one of the lovely Bank Holidays with which we are gifted. I love Bank Holidays--there are so many of them.)

I've got my desk emptied and cleaned off, but still have lots of work to do via computer for the rest of today and then Tuesday.

Took a brief break in the afternoon when Rob and Beata called me from Japan. What a wonderful surprise! It was 2:30 PM here and 10:30 PM there. They just got in from Denmark and she was ecstatic. Got the results from her GED test and she not only passed, she excelled in every single area. Now she's enrolling in college already. Green card, GED, and college--turning into a real American. What a great afternoon break for me.

They still don't know if they'll be home in June or September. Either way, it's wonderful, and I can be patient, as Rob and I haven't lived close to each other since he graduated from high school and entered the army in 1989. Now he's getting ready to finish his BS and go to law school. Time flies. And my baby, Jill, is going to be 30 tomorrow. How did they ever get so old? I think I’ll tell her favorite bedtime story in my blog tomorrow.

Kevin left work around 2 and it was hard saying good-bye to him, even though I’ll see him in Milwaukee in several weeks. He’s a great guy.

The day just dragged. Luckily (or unluckily) I’m searching for an article I need for one of our journals and I can’t find one I want to use. I always need four nice-sized articles for this journal and I have one and two more promised, so with three original articles I can afford to use one reprint. But besides finding the right one, I have to secure reprint permission. Time is running out—both to receive those two articles and to find the fourth one. Yikes.

A friend asked about me going to the funeral last Wednesday and I thought I’d written about it, but nope. What happened was that the family had a private, family-only memorial service, so it wasn’t appropriate for me to go after all. That was why I ended up able to go to CSz practice after all.

Tonight was interesting. I decided to not do any packing or any work at all. Watched the last ever Friends (yes, a few weeks late here in the UK) and the beginning of BB5, the UK version, which of course is the original. Fun and absolutely outrageous. Cursing, near nudity, and girl on girl action. This is quite different than the US version.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home